Thursday, January 20, 2011

Practical Advices

It's been almost 6 months since my return to Malaysia. Yet, I hadn't really talked about how things are going, how the verdict is about my decision to return. Truth be told, I am still not 100% sure that my decision to come back was right.

During my recent trip to Kota Kinabalu, while having after-movie supper with some old friends, one of them shared with us a tip she got from her boss in Australia. He said, "There is no such thing as the right choice of path. You just need to choose one path and figure out how to live it". That advice struck me like a bolt of lightning, because although I am content with my life so far, I have been thinking a lot about my decision to settle down in Malaysia and about my choice of career, that I often forget to make the best out of what I already have and improve them.

Just the other day, while having a drink with my colleagues after work, one of them shared with us another advice that I had known all the while, just never really given it much thought. She said, "You will never succeed in what you do if you don't put your heart into it, no matter how smart or capable you are". This was meaningful to me because I realised I have been spending way too much time figuring out whether I should be doing what I am doing, instead of actually figuring out how best to do those things.

But as another saying goes, "Talk is cheap. Deeds are precious". Agreeing with something doesn't make it that much easier to practice it. It is hard, having to balance between appreciating what you already have and not being rigid against changes that could improve it. It is hard, having to put your heart into something, without being rigid against exploring other things.

I guess the biggest problem most people have is that with just 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, there isn't enough time to think about all these while having to work for a decent living. Even that is arguable because the term "decent living" can mean different things to different people.

For now, I know what I want and what is important to me, so I will work towards it. Career is only a means to get what I want, so it doesn't really matter what I do, as long as I get, unless it gets unbearable and all initial purposes are defeated. For those who could make a career out of their passion, I truly envy them but as envy is said to one of the 7 deadliest sins, I shall try my best not to wallow in it.

There will be no conclusion to this entry, as there is no absolute solution to a happier life. But an advice or two won't hurt, will it?

2 comments:

simoncsyen said...

Kaiou, a very good review from u =) I agree with those saying esp "choose a path and figure out how to live in it"...Just like me, I've been through it and in future once I have my complete family,there's another turning point in my life...As u know I've been working in a company based in Tawau...Tawau, u know how ppl make jokes on me,how could u end up in Tawau?Hubby and I stand firm with our choice...yes...we already make our decision we gonna base in Tawau (thking back our decision back in 5 years ago) We worked hard, we struggled...and now...we are happy with it =) We work abroad now, expanding our knowledge with our partners abroad. What we are today all bcoz our choice... Although we are forced to resign from our current company one day, we definitely won't regret...coz we wont ever regret of our choice...The turning point ahead will be just another level of life...and we will work for it for sure =) And about envy? Com'on! We all should not envy for ppl's achievement. We are not that bad in reality...you shall remember this too...good luck my dear friend...You are the best among the best too! cheers!

kaioucat said...

Yes, Sheau Yen, you are right. Everyone has her own predicaments. Nobody lives a perfect life. I'm glad that your career has made a positive turn after so many years of endurance. I shall use that to remind myself that it could happen to me too one day. And when that happens, not only in career aspect, it happens because of what I am doing today, so like u said, no regrets!

Post a Comment