There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Smile Factor #15: I Have Never Been This Touched...

Last night, a dear, dear colleague of mine asked me to help him pick a necklace & pendant for his fiance. I said, "Sure!" without the slightest suspicion. I blabbered all night about what kind of design would his fiance like, what are her accessorising habits etc...etc. We finally reached the verdict and picked this really cute butterfly pendant with a matching chain. But then my colleague said he likes to go home and sleep over it before he buys anything. Sounded very reasonable, right? I would do that if I had the discipline.

Fast forward to today, my colleagues threw a farewell lunch gathering for me, which is kind of a standard practice in my department. I saw them passing my farewell greeting card around to sign on. We laughed it off and they told me to pretend I didn't see it.

Until they announced it was time for "gift presentation ceremony", where my boss was supposed to hand me a gift while a photo is taken. I really was expecting only the farewell card. But as my boss was handing me the card, I saw that he was also holding a jewellery gift box with the name of the shop printed on it. I swear, even at that moment, I still hadn't put 2 and 2 together.

Then I really looked at the name of the jewellery shop. It was the same shop where my colleague and I picked out the butterfly pendant. Then it slowly dawned on me what was going on. I looked unbelievingly at the colleague whom I went jewellery shopping with the night before. The only words I could blurt out were, "Is this..?" and "Did you..?". He only gave me a grin.

They told me to open the gift. When I saw what was inside and confirmed my thoughts, I almost cried. It was the nicest thing anyone had done for me for a long time. I think I must have the stupidest grin on my face at the time.


Now, whenever I recall our conversations that night when we were picking the gift, I would grin stupidly at the realisation of the little hints I missed, or the parts where I must have annoyed the hell out of him when I kept on and on about what suits his fiance more. I thought I was the one doing him a favour, so I really took my time in picking! We even looked at diamond studded pendants! LOL!

And I thought my memories in Singapore could not get any better...

No comments: