There was an error in this gadget

Friday, January 29, 2010

Random Updates

Nothing particularly interesting is happening lately. Hence the lack of updates in the blog. Well, some things that may or may not be worthy of any mention, but here goes nothing...

I have marathoned The Office (US version) from Season 1 till the on-going Season 6 in a month's time. I am totally addicted to it right now and I dare say it is the best sitcom I have ever followed. It may not be as intriguing as Lost or as fantastic as Heroes, but it gives me this sense of not being the only one feeling so blah about work. The show presents unfortunately common lousy work situations and yet manages to somehow twist it into a happy ending, or at least an ending that you can laugh about and just move on to another day. It is like this constant reminder that no matter how bad stuff at work seems to have become, it is just another day of work and by tomorrow, new things will just displace the old.

^Cast Members of The Office

Speaking of offices. Work has been really hectic these days, especially since the year end holidays were over. I am coping just about borderline-OK and I keep having these weird dreams where I was always clinging desperately on to something. I kinda know what the meaning behind is. Not that it helps make life any easier. In fact, these dreams are making it harder for me to wake up every morning!

What's really keeping me going is my looking forward to the Chinese New Year holidays. I am going on a whopping 2 weeks off beginning next weekend and I. Cannot. Wait. No doubt, I had to thicken my face when I approached my boss for the leave request, since it is rather happening at work lately and I have just came back from a week's vacation. He said yes, reluctantly, but still a yes. I feel bad. But I'd feel worse if I didn't ask for it, so there...life is about making the best or the least damaging choices, after all.

Another work-related issue. I have been assigned a task to put together a performance for the upcoming department retreat. I don't even know where to begin on how challenging that task is for me. Just because I have participated in that ONE performance, people extrapolate to the fact that I can come up with more. Fortunately, I have some really supportive colleagues who were too kind to lend me a helping hand and even agreed to perform with me. The general idea is to sing, since it requires the least amount of preparation work, considering the fact that I will be leaving for KL in a week's time and only will be back the day before the retreat. The more I think about it, the more worried I get. I may need a miracle for this one. My strategy now is to keep my own expectations low so I won't disappoint myself too much when I can't come up with something good enough. On the other hand, I keep having this feeling that me not trying my hardest is unfair to my colleagues who are actually helping me with this. Oh wisdom, where art thou when I need you.

Well, so much for blabbering. It's 1 bloody a.m. and I should really be in bed right now. Good news? It's finally Friday and there's a site meeting tomorrow (technically, later today) that I am rather looking forward to. *wink*

I just hope (and I mean REALLY hope) nothing goes terribly wrong that ruins the day. I am fast running out of emotional buffer.

No comments: