There was an error in this gadget

Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy Labour Day 2009!

I was having a discussion with my colleagues last night on whether we, executive employees, are celebrated on Labour Day, 'cause you know...the word "labour" kinda actually only refers to manual workers. So, I decided to Google the word "labour" to see what the World Wide Web has to say about it. Typically, Wikipedia has some explanations:

---
Labour Day or Labor Day is an annual holiday celebrated all over the world that resulted from the labour union movement, to celebrate the economic and social achievements of workers.
---


The word "workers" was linked. So I clicked on it and this is what I see:

---
"Worker" redirects here. For other uses, see Worker (disambiguation).


One of the construction trades, traditionally considered unskilled manual labor (as opposed to skilled labor).
---


So, according to Wikipedia, I am not celebrated on Labour Day.

Not satisfied, I checked Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary for the definition of "labour" and I got this:

---
Main Entry:
1la·bor           Listen to the pronunciation of 1labor
Pronunciation:
\ˈlā-bər\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French labur, from Latin labor; perhaps akin to Latin labare to totter, labi to slip — more at sleep
Date:
14th century
1 a: expenditure of physical or mental effort especially when difficult or compulsory b (1): human activity that provides the goods or services in an economy (2): the services performed by workers for wages as distinguished from those rendered by entrepreneurs for profits c: the physical activities (as dilation of the cervix and contraction of the uterus) involved in giving birth ; also : the period of such labor
2
: an act or process requiring labor : task
3
: a product of labor
4 a
: an economic group comprising those who do manual labor or work for wages b (1): workers employed in an establishment (2): workers available for employment c: the organizations or officials representing groups of workers
5
usually Labour : the Labour party of the United Kingdom or of another part of the Commonwealth of Nations

synonyms see work
---

The only part of Merriam-Webster's definition of "labour" that I can relate to is "b (1): human activity that provides the goods or services in an economy". So, by deduction, I am celebrated on Labour Day - somewhat.

Ah, what the heck. As long as I get my day off, who cares if Labour Day celebrates me or not, right?

Happy Labour Day 2009, everyone!

No comments: